In spite of the heavy snow once again, I got to Nanaimo Monday morning in order to pick up the 4 cut panels for the Alberta commission.
I was able to immediately work at adhering the muslin to the panels. I had pre-shrunk the mid-weight muslin in order to not create tension on the hardboard as it dried. I decided on using a heavier Muslin then I normally use in order to give the hardboard more stability. None pre-shrunk muslin can shrink a lot. In the picture below, there is a hole in one of the panels, for the keyhole in the front tabernacle door. There is a 4th panel not included in this photo.
Once dried, I trimmed the excess muslin off and then began the gesso process" on Tuesday:
First 3 coats of gesso √
First sanding √
Next 3 coats of Gesso √
Second sanding √
Gesso coats 6-9 and final sanding √
I then transferred the designs which I had already prepared before having the panels cut. The front icon will be of Christ and the other three icons for the sides and back of the tabernacle will be Seraphim. After transferring with graph paper, I started inking in each.
Today (Wednesday), I will be completing the inking and making adjustments to the icon of Christ - enlarging the open book to accommodate a larger inscription. After that, I will start blocking in the base colours and working out the balance between all 4 icons.