The process of preparing and icon is involved, from beginning to end.
The compilation shows only a few of them:
1) building the board and frame,
2) adhering the muslin to the board and shaping onto the frame and sides,
3) gessoeing and sanding the boards (minimum of 7 coats +),
4) preparing a design on vellum which is then transferred to the prepared board,
5) applying the base colours and the red bole where the gold leafing will be applied.
After this phase, there is the process of writing the icon.
- At a mid point once the main shading and highlights are in place, the gold leafing is done before continuing with the finer details.
- Once the gold leaf is done, all inscriptions, haloes, and other ornamentation to go on the gold has to be done with care before the gold can be protected with a sealer.
- Once the sealer is applied to the gold areas, the writing of the icon continues.
- Once completed, the image is sealed as is the gold leafing.
- Note: the only identifier which I add is my monogram on the lower corner on the back of the icon so as not to be view (along with the year it was written). On occasion, there will an additional inscription added to the back of an icon.
6) picture of the icon upon completion